Monday, August 12, 2013

Various stops yesterday and today...plus an Olive sided Flycatcher at home


Great Blue Herons at nest, Lake Wallace, Aug 11, 2013
Great Blue Herons at nest, Lake Wallace, Aug 11, 2013
Green Heron, Lake Wallace, Aug 11, 2013
 
Yesterday I stopped briefly at Lake Wallace on my way to work and was surprised to find the three young Great Blue Herons still in the nest there.  I really thought they would have been long gone by now.  Not much else of note beyond the usual species.  I hoped for an unusual egret or heron but no luck today.  There were several Killdeer on the nearby soccer fields but no other shorebirds.


Tree and Bank Swallows, Hop Brook, Amherst, MA, Aug 12, 2013
I spent a few hours this morning checking various spots around the area with the main focus being waders and perhaps shorebirds. I started at Covey WMA, then over to the Route 9 marsh, Winsor Dam, Lake Wallace, the rail trail in Amherst and finally to Wentworth Farm. No waders at Covey but did have a roost of grackles and blackbirds numbering several hundred that lifted off near dawn heading northeast. The Route 9 marsh and Winsor Dam were both fairly quiet with nothing unexpected. Lake Wallace itself was quiet but with the mowing going on nearby I was not surprised. The Great Blue Herons were still hanging out in the nest. A Yellow Warbler was still singing occasionally too. The nearby soccer fields held at least 24 Killdeer but not much else. The rail trail had a flyover Greater Yellowlegs calling as well as a few Killdeer. The Hop Brook marsh held a couple Great Blue Herons as well as at least five Green Herons plus an assortment of swallows.  I managed to find a rather late Orchard Oriole at Wentworth Farm. Overall nothing too unusual this morning but still a nice morning to be outside.



Olive sided Flycatcher, Home, Aug 12, 2013
Olive sided Flycatcher, Home, Aug 12, 2013
Olive sided Flycatcher, Home, Aug 12, 2013
After finishing up some yard work Wilson and I headed down to get the mail and noticed a flycatcher at the very top of a large dead pine. It behaved like an Olive sided Flycatcher so I headed back home and pulled out the scope to get a good look at the bird. It was indeed an Olive sided Flycatcher and one of the earliest I have ever had in fall.  It was the first one I have had at home in fall ever.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment