Monday, August 26, 2013

More shorebirds and other 'stuff

Merlin, Honeypot, Hadley, MA, Aug 26, 2013
Merlin, Honeypot, Hadley, MA, Aug 26, 2013
With the forecast for rain overnight into the morning I decided to try once again for shorebirds.  Despite the forecast there was not any rain beyond a few sprinkles during the morning and the ground looked dry from overnight.  I started before dawn at the soccer fields near Lake Wallace where I had 19 Killdeer and a flyby Green Heron.  I then stopped briefly at Winsor Dam to try to find something unusual (like a tern or odd gull).  I managed to find a total of four Wood Ducks, at least 62 Mallards and a Common Loon out on the water as well as nearly a dozen gulls (nothing beyond Ring billed Gulls).  I then decided to head toward Hadley to check some of the areas I hit yesterday with a brief (unproductive) stop at Lake Metacomet on the way there.  I headed for the Honeypot section of Hadley but some the areas that were productive yesterday were quiet.  Perhaps the threatening skies kept some stuff hunkered down.  I could only turn up a single Killdeer and a couple Spotted Sandpipers as far as shorebirds.  I did have a Great Egret on one of the sandbars in the river as well as a Merlin perched in a dead snag plus lots of Bobolinks and hundreds (thousands?) of swallows over the river and fields.  Other notable birds included a constantly chipping Yellow Warbler and a Brown Thrasher flying back and forth near the model airplane field.  A swing through Aqua Vitae Road was unproductive beyond some Bobolinks as the fields are just starting to be harvested.
Various shorebirds (Pectoral Sandpiper-middle right, Lesser Yellowlegs-middle, Semipalmated Sandpiper-below yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers), Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Aug 26, 2013
Various shorebirds (Pectoral Sandpiper-middle right, Lesser Yellowlegs-middle, Semipalmated Sandpiper-below yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers), Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Aug 26, 2013

Solitary Sandpiper, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Aug 26, 2013

Semipalmated Sandpipers, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Aug 26, 2013
A stop along the Connecticut River in Hadley proved quite productive for shorebirds.  I had a Pectoral Sandpiper, a Solitary Sandpiper, a Spotted Sandpiper, four Semipalmated Sandpipers, 23 Least Sandpipers and three Lesser Yellowlegs.  The area looks prime to turn up something odd unless the river rises and floods the mudflats.  I also had 11 Wood Ducks at the same spot but no waders today.
Great Egrets, Rail trail at Hop Brook, Amherst, MA, Aug 26, 2013
On my way home I stopped off at the rail trail and walked out to the Hop Brook marsh where I had a couple Great Egrets, half a dozen Belted Kingfishers and other typical species. 

The blog has now reached 60,000 hits since I started it...

In a non birding sighting I had my first Giant Swallowtail in the yard during the afternoon.  A spectacular looking southern butterfly that just a few years ago was almost unheard of in Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment