Friday, August 2, 2013

Search for shorebirds this morning and Great Egrets this evening


Winsor Dam at dawn, Aug 2, 2013
 
Solitary Sandpiper, Arcadia, Aug 2, 2013
Solitary Sandpiper, Arcadia, Aug 2, 2013
With the occasional showers and downpours overnight I decided to spend a little time this morning trying to find some downed shorebirds or other migrants.  I started off early at Winsor Dam but found nothing too unusual with just a couple loons, a cormorant and a handful of Ring billed Gulls.  I then headed west with a brief stop at Lake Metacomet before going to the Honeypot section of Hadley.  Some of the fields have been harvested so at least there are now areas that could host some shorebirds.  The Connecticut River has also dropped enough to have a few sandbars exposed.  I had a few shorebirds over the fields and along the river including a couple Killdeer, a Spotted Sandpiper and a couple Least Sandpipers.   I also had a few juvenile Great Blue Herons working the banks of the river.  I bet a kayak trip up or down the river would produce some good stuff if you could make the trip before the boat traffic starts up for the day.  With a little luck for the morning so far I decided to spend my few remaining free minutes checking out Arcadia.  There were a variety of shorebirds seen there a couple days ago and I hoped a few were still around despite the fact that the water levels were probably higher due to the recent rain.   I briefly checked the oxbow on the way in but the several boats already moving around insured little in the way of interesting activity.   I made a quick walk out to the marsh and scanned the area and found a few shorebirds including two Solitary Sandpipers and a couple of Least Sandpipers.  The mosquitoes were horrendous so I didn’t stay too long.  With the recent reports of West Nile and EEE infected mosquitoes around I wanted to limit my exposure as much as possible.  I’m sure there were more birds hidden in the grasses but I didn’t have the time to check too closely.  The marsh also held about half a dozen Great Blue Herons, a Green Heron and a smattering of Wood Ducks and Mallards.  If the water falls just a little more some mudflats should develop that could prove quite productive. 
Great Egret, Route 9 marsh, Aug 2, 2013
Great Egrets (three of seven), Route 9 marsh, Aug 2, 2013
Great Egret, Route 9 marsh, Aug 2, 2013
Route 9 marsh (seven Great Egrets in view), Aug 2, 2013
As I was getting ready to leave work I got a message from Steve Motyl that Bob Z had at least five Great Egrets at the Route 9 marsh late in the afternoon.  I decided to head right over there after work and when I got there I had seven Great Egrets in view....by far the most I have ever had at this location (or anywhere else in Hampshire County!).  The Great Egrets became species #215 for Hampshire county this year.  Also had a Green Heron there.  Thanks Steve and Bob for the heads up about the egrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment