Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Shorebirds and the two year anniversary of Irene


Least Sandpipers, Hadley, Aug 28, 2013
Solitary Sandpiper, Hadley, Aug 28, 2013
Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral and Semipalmated Sandpiper, Hadley, Aug 28, 2013
Semipalmated Sandpipers, Hadley, Aug 28, 2013
Pectoral Sandpiper, Hadley, Aug 28, 2013
Sandpipers in the fog, Hadley, Aug 28, 2013
After looking at the radar last night and noticing all the apparent bird migration underway I thought there might be some new arrivals around this morning. Unfortunately the fog had settled in overnight which made viewing difficult (or impossible).  My original plan to scope out at Winsor Dam got scrapped when I looked at the camera there and could barely see the flagpoles, much less the water.  Instead I headed west to areas along the Connecticut River looking for shorebirds (again).  I stopped in Hadley and despite the fog found some shorebirds including Pectoral, Solitary, Spotted, Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers plus a couple Lesser Yellowlegs.  Numbers were very much the same as yesterday so it appears few birds left or arrived (at least at this location).  The water level was up a bit from yesterday but not high enough to cover all the mudflats yet.  The on and off rain showers over the next few days may add further to the water levels but we will just have to wait and see.  I thought about heading over to Arcadia but with all the fog I didn’t  think I would be able to see anything so I ditched that plan.  Later in the day I saw a report from Dave at Arcadia that it was indeed productive but nothing extraordinary.

I stopped by the river again in Hadley later and had a greater number of shorebirds than earlier with a Pectoral Sandpiper, two Solitary Sandpipers, four Semipalmated Sandpipers, 32 Least Sandpipers, three Lesser Yellowlegs and a Killdeer.

Today marks the two year anniversary of the arrival of hurricane/tropical storm Irene in our area with the corresponding treasure trove of amazing birds.  Posts from that epic day can be found here:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment