Monday, August 5, 2013

Shorebirds at Arcadia and other stops

 
 
Solitary Sandpipers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
Solitary and Least Sandpipers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
Least Sandpiper, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
Solitary Sandpiper, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
Solitary and Least Sandpiper, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
Least Sandpipers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
 
Spotted Sandpipers and Killdeer, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 5, 2013
Arcadia marsh, Aug 5, 2013
 
With the northwest winds overnight I had hopes of finding some migrants this morning when I headed out and I was not disappointed. It was a very cool morning for early August with temperatures starting out in the low 50's. I started off at Arcadia marsh and found a selection of shorebirds on the mudflats there including a single Semiplamated Sandpiper, a couple Spotted Sandpipers, 13 Least Sandpipers, a half dozen Solitary Sandpipers and five Killdeer. The Semipalmated Sandpiper became species number 216 for Hampshire County this year. The marsh also held a couple Great Blue Herons, a Green Heron, a handful of Wood Ducks and about thirty Bank Swallows. As long as we don't get a lot of rain the mudflats should produce some more good stuff over the next few weeks. 
Great Egret, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Aug 5, 2013
After Arcadia I headed over to the rail trail in Amherst. I headed over to Hop Brook to check out the marsh there. A Great Egret as well as a Great Blue Heron were hunting the marsh. Among the nearly hundred swallows were Bank, Barn, Tree and Northern rough winged Swallows with the vast majority being Tree and Bank Swallows. 
Wilson checking out the geese, Aug 5, 2013
Broad winged Hawk, Jabish Canal, Aug 5, 2013
Once I got home I picked up Wilson and we went for a long walk along the land trust trail. Nothing too unusual but a nice walk on a sunny morning.  Given how nice it was today we decided to take another walk at midday along Jabish Canal and found a vocal family of Broad winged Hawks.

At dusk I headed over to Quabbin Park and Covey WMA to see if any Eastern Whip-poor-wills were still calling.  As soon as I arrived at the Route 9 marsh I had one calling.  I have not had them here before but have had them nearby.  A couple of other stops at spots I have had them earlier in the season did not produce any more.  Happy to have heard even one.

No comments:

Post a Comment