Friday, January 25, 2013

Last full day in Florida-Jan 22

 
Northern Mockingbird, Disney Wilderness Preserve, FL, Jan 22, 2013
Brown headed Nuthatch, Disney Wilderness Preserve, FL, Jan 22, 2013
Yellow rumped Warbler, Disney Wilderness Preserve, FL, Jan 22, 2013
 
On my last full day in Florida I headed south a bit with a visit to Southport road and park at the south end of Lake Toho. This area can be good for grassland species and as usual all the expected species were found. The wind was a bit too strong to see much on the lake. The Tree Swallow spectacle was great as usual with thousands of birds feeding over the fields. I then headed to the Disney Wilderness Preserve which is a 12,000 acre Nature Conservancy property. I had hoped to find the group of Red cockaded Woodpeckers I had found there on a previous trip but no luck this time. I did have luck with other pine savanna species including Red headed Woodpecker, Brown headed Nuthatch and Pine Warblers among the many other species. I probably could have found others but I was feeling bad so called it a day by late morning.

Overall I ended the trip with 110 species. Given my limited time and inability to stay out as long as usual I was happy to get that total.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment