Sunday, June 2, 2013

Quabbin Park, land trust trail and gate 5 on a warm morning

Common Loon, Quabbin Park, June 2, 2013
 
Common Loon, Quabbin Park, June 2, 2013
 
Hermit Thrush carrying food, Quabbin Park, June 2, 2013
 
Dawn at Winsor Dam (with Common Mergansers near shore), June 2, 2013
Common Mergansers, Winsor Dam at Quabbin Park, June 2, 2013
Another hot, breezy day here with thunderstorms predicted for late in the day. The day started off with temperature in the upper 60's and climbed from there up to near 90. I needed to get Wilson a walk early today so I stayed close to home. I started out before dawn at Quabbin Park where I made my way around the park before the crowds descended on the place. Nothing too unusual today but did get some great looks at a Black billed Cuckoo, a pair of Common Loons, a few Common Mergansers, several species of thrush (including a Hermit Thrush carrying food) and a dozen species of warbler among the other 60+ species present. 
 
Brown Thrasher (iPhone shot through binoculars), Belchertown land trust trail, June 2, 2013
Wood Duck and Hooded Merganser, (iPhone shot through binoculars), Belchertown land trust trail, June 2, 2013
I then came home and got Wilson and we headed to the land trust trail before it got too hot. More resident birds around there but nothing beyond the expected. No sign of the Golden winged Warbler I had there last week but there was still a Blue winged Warbler around giving an odd call. I also had an odd pairing in the small marsh when a female Hooded Merganser and a female Wood Duck seemed to be hanging around each other. There were no ducklings around and I had not seen either species in this wetland for weeks.  I also had Brown Thrasher, Northern Mockingbird and Gray Catbird all in the same area calling at the same time which provided a nice comparison of the three similar sounding species.
 
Broad winged Hawks, Quabbin gate 5, June 2, 2013
Broad winged Hawk, Quabbin gate 5, June 2, 2013
Once I dropped Wilson off I headed over for a brief walk at gate 5 at Quabbin.  Highlights here included three Broad winged Hawks flying around together ( I never could get all three in the same photo!), a Barred Owl calling and a drumming Ruffed Grouse.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the camera phone binocular set up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. Tough to get a good shot but it is fun to practice!

    ReplyDelete