Monday, June 3, 2013

Late Horned Grebe on a rainy morning

Horned Grebe, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013
Horned Grebe, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013
Horned Grebe, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013

Horned Grebe, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013
Horned Grebe, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013
Winsor Dam during the rain, June 3, 2013
The predicted rain arrived right around dawn this morning and continued through the late morning.  This rain was in addition to several thunderstorms that moved through late yesterday afternoon and throughout the evening.  Although not perfect conditions for something unusual to show up, the chance was certainly there so with that thought in mind I spent most of the morning at Quabbin Park with a few hours of that time at Winsor Dam.  My thoughts were on terns and perhaps some shorebirds again ( http://quabbinbirdingandbeyond.blogspot.com/2013/05/overnight-rain-brings-down-unusual.html) Although I struck out on terns and shorebirds I still found an unusual bird when I found a very late Horned Grebe moving out of the fog and eventually showing fairly well despite the pouring rain.  My previous late date in spring in the county is late April so a June 3rd sighting is truly unusual.  The heavy rain kept my overall number of species a bit lower than usual but the quality was certainly still around.  I ran across my second Yellow billed Cuckoo in as many days and found several adult Common Loons at various spots.  I also had my second Black Bear sighting there in just a few days when I had a bear cross the road in front of me near the middle entrance mid morning,

Common Loon, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013
Common Loon, Winsor Dam, June 3, 2013
On my last stop at Winsor Dam after the rain had stopped I found a 1st summer Common Loon moving by near the dam and showing well.  The bird was worn with all markings fairly faint or absent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment