Friday, October 28, 2011

A wild goose chase

Brant, Barton's Cove, Turner's Falls, MA, Oct 28, 2011

Brant, Barton's Cove, Turner's Falls, MA, Oct 28, 2011

Brant, Barton's Cove, Turner's Falls, MA, Oct 28, 2011

Brant, Barton's Cove, Turner's Falls, MA, Oct 28, 2011

I decided to try my luck at the reported Pink-footed Goose that has been seen at the power canal in Turner's Falls late this afternoon.  As this was only the fourth state record and the first in western Massachusetts for this species I figured I would try.  Upon stopping at the power canal there were over 350 Canada Geese but no Pink-footed.  I scanned through several times but could not make it materialize.  I next went just down the road to Barton's Cove and ran into Ian Davies and Evan Dalton who mentioned a Brant just a bit further upriver as well as a Cackling Goose at the UMASS pond but no Pink-footed.  I parked my car and walked a short distance to a large group of geese on shore.  I also ran into James Smith (who first found the Pink-footed) on my walk toward the geese and also got negative reports on the Pink-footed. I did find the Brant and would have gotten some really good shots of the bird but the geese were all put up into flight by someone walking by.  I did manage a few shots and was certainly happy to have at least found one odd goose.  Brant can be quite hard to find away from the coast but I have had good luck this year with a group at Quabbin last week and one here today.  The only other sighting of note at Barton's Cove was a female Greater Scaup.  I joined Ian, James and others back at the power canal but still no luck with the Pink-footed.  I needed to get going so left with the knowledge that if the bird did come back before dark they would give my cell a call.  I headed for home and made a quick stop at the UMASS campus pond and found the Cackling Goose.  I had a very brief view before it took off with a group of Canada Geese to destinations unknown.  Although I struck out on the Pink-footed a three goose day is quite nice in western Massachusetts. 

I would love to try for the bird again tomorrow but the forecast of 6-12" of snow is quite a deterrent!  A dusting of snow yesterday, an icy drive this morning, temperatures in the low 40's today and the forecast of a large snow storm certainly does not bode well for the next several months.  It could be a long winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment