Friday, September 6, 2013

Migrants at Orchard Hill and the Honeypot

Wood Thrush, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
Wood Thrush, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
Philadelphia Vireo, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
Philadelphia Vireo, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
Black and White Warbler, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
White breasted Nuthatch, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
Bay breasted Warbler, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013

Bay breasted Warbler, Orchard Hill UMASS, Sep 6, 2013
With the radars lit up overnight and flight calls heard as I was outside last evening I had high hopes for a good morning of birding and I was not disappointed. Although the morning started off a bit cool with a temperature at 39 it was at least sunny and did warm up.  I started my morning predawn at the honeypot before heading over to UMASS. I didn't want to spend too much time at the honeypot as I wanted to be on Orchard Hill for sunrise so I was not able to turn up anything noteworthy there first thing. I made it over to Orchard Hill just as the sun was rising and joined a few other birders there. Quiet at first but then the activity picked up with the arrival of the sun. We had some fantastic birds including at least three Bay breasted Warblers (all in the same small area...never have had so many close together in Mass before), a Tennessee Warbler, a Wilson's Warbler, a Philadelphia Vireo (one of four vireo species there), a total of 13 warbler species and just over 45 species total for a few hours in the morning. The activity quickly trailed off and others needed to head to class so I left the hill and headed back to the honeypot to try my luck once again finding shorebirds from the dike. 
 
 
American Golden Plovers (they are there!), Honeypot, Sep 6, 2013
Honeypot at dawn, Sep 6, 2013
Almost as soon as I arrived at the Honeypot a Merlin came in from the north and I thought any shorebirds would have flushed but nothing moved. I scanned through the fields a couple times and came up with eight American Golden Plovers as well as a couple Killdeer. Still lots of Bobolinks flying overhead and calling as well as hundreds of swallows along the river and fields.

I took Wilson for a couple walks including along Jabish Canal (one mixed species flock but nothing unexpected) and along the land trust trail. The best bird along the land trust trail was a Yellow bellied Flycatcher in the woods that allowed for some great views. I tried to get a photo with the phone through the binoculars but no luck with that.  A few other notable birds were reported today including Connecticut and Orange crowned Warblers...both of which I have yet to see this year in the county...maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment