Sunday, September 29, 2013

Covey WMA and Quabbin Park

Winter Wren, Quabbin Park, Sep 29, 2013
Blackbirds and grackles in fog, Covey WMA, Sep 29, 2013
Blackbirds and grackles in fog, Covey WMA, Sep 29, 2013

I had another productive day out and about the local area despite the fog that never burned off completely until almost 9:30. I started off predawn at Covey WMA where I had both a Great Horned Owl and Barred Owl calling. Lots of other noteworthy birds there including a Blue winged Teal, 36 Wood Ducks, a Green Heron, a Solitary Sandpiper, a couple of flyover Horned Larks (very unusual here), at least ten Swamp Sparrows with a few of them still singing, a large blackbird/grackle roost that included hundreds (or thousands) of birds including a unique looking individual I captured in a photo as the birds moved out through the fog (still trying to figure it out). Despite all of these good birds already mentioned the best bird was a Marsh Wren that I heard and then saw briefly at 6:55 at the largest marsh. Seen well from approximately 30 feet away working its way through the reeds and cattails. I attempted to coax the bird in and it did move closer briefly but then disappeared. Also tried to get some photos without success. The Marsh Wren became species #227 for my Hampshire County list this year, putting me just one species shy of my previous best year. 
Winter Wren, Quabbin Park, Sep 29, 2013
Winter Wren, Quabbin Park, Sep 29, 2013
Winter Wren, Quabbin Park, Sep 29, 2013
Pied billed Grebe, Quabbin Park, Sep 29, 2013
Blackburnian Warbler, Quabbin Park, Sep 29, 2013
After Covey I headed over to Quabbin Park covering several areas with once again a decent selection of birds including a Ruffed Grouse drumming, six Common Loons, a Pied billed Grebe, a somewhat late Yellow billed Cuckoo that flew across my path at Hanks Meadow, a very cooperative Winter Wren (becoming my fourth wren species for the day), various migrant flocks that included increased numbers of both kinglet species, a Bay breasted Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler and eight other warbler species plus singing Blue headed Vireos.

Odd bird in middle of photo (see comments below), Covey WMA, Sep 29, 2013
I picked out an odd bird among the blackbird, grackle, etc flock at Covey WMA that looked quite interesting.  I never saw the bird through binoculars but picked it out as I reviewed the few photos I took of the flock as it moved through the fog and briefly settled on some trees.  After having others take a look at it (thanks Ian) it appears to be a leucistic blackbird or cowbird.  Wish the fog had not been so thick!

No comments:

Post a Comment