Monday, July 22, 2013

A couple of brief stops in the AM

Green Heron, Lake Wallace, July 22, 2013
Great Blue Herons at nest, Lake Wallace, July 22, 2013
Great Blue Herons at nest, Lake Wallace, July 22, 2013
With only a little time this morning I made a brief stop at Lake Wallace before heading over to Gate 52 at Quabbin Park. The Great Blue Heron nest at Lake Wallace still held the three young but they look about ready to fledge. The only other waders present were two Green Herons. I would expect a Great Egret or something more unusual to show up any day now. The Wood Ducks numbers totalled 37 with a variety of ages present. I also had at least seven Belted Kingfisher roaming around the area and creating lots of noise. 
Morning view at gate 52, July 22, 2013
I next headed over to Quabbin Park where I took a quick walk down to Gate 52. On the water I had at least three Common Loons with a bit of calling back and forth. A family group of half a dozen Common Mergansers slowly swam out of view heading north. I also had a group of crows calling back and forth and chasing each other. One of the group kept making a vocalization I have never heard before and I managed to get a distant recording but it is very difficult to hear.  I may upload it to my Flickr site later.

No comments:

Post a Comment