Thursday, April 18, 2013

Glossy Ibis (x3) and other new arrivals

Glossy Ibis, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 18, 2013
Glossy Ibis, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 18, 2013
Glossy Ibis, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 18, 2013
Glossy Ibis, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 18, 2013
I decided to head over to the bike path before dawn to follow up on a report of a group of three Glossy Ibis found there last evening.  Before I even left the yard this morning I had a Louisiana Waterthrush (#129) singing along the stream at 5:20.  Once I arrived at the rail trail I added a few species of new birds for the county this year including a Brown Thrasher (#130) and a Black and White Warbler (#131).  After quite a bit of searching through the fog filled marsh I had no luck finding the ibis nor did the three other birders with me.  Later in the morning, after the fog burned off, I got a call that the ibis were back.  I finally made it back over there late in the afternoon and all three Glossy Ibis (#132) were present.  After viewing them for awhile along with several other birders, I decided to head out but not before adding another species when a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (#133) started calling and was seen briefly.

In addition last evening I went out to areas around Quabbin Park in search of an early whip-poor-will, owls or rails.  No luck finding any whip-poor-wills but I did have a Virginia Rail (#128) in the Route 9 marsh and a Barred Owl calling from the middle entrance at Quabbin Park.  I also had a nice view of a Gray Fox when I arrived home.

No comments:

Post a Comment