Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A cold day then a warm day

What a difference a day makes with the weather. Yesterday it was in the low 40's, cloudy and breezy and today it was sunny and it made it into the upper 70's!  I made a brief stop at Winsor Dam on the way to work but the winds made viewing difficult and I didn't have anything noteworthy.  I noticed a few raptors moving today when the winds switched around to southerly and increased.  The winds should stay like this tonight before a front comes through with showers and turns the winds back around.  Hopefully many migrants will take advantage of the winds early in the night and make their way north.  I would expect the arrival of at least a few new species tomorrow.  Time will tell!


Glossy Ibis (one of three), Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 23, 2013
Tree Swallows and a couple Northern Rough winged Swallows, Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 23, 2013
Yesterday I added species #141 at home in the morning before sunrise when a House Wren sang several times.  I also stopped briefly along the rail trail in Amherst to see if the Glossy Ibis were still present.  After a bit of looking I found all three birds fairly close but somewhat obscured.  I last saw them fly out low up over the trail and put down further upstream along Hop Brook.


No comments:

Post a Comment