Sunday, April 14, 2013

A brief morning of birding after my return from Costa Rica...lots of new stuff around


Red necked Grebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013
Bonaparte's Gull (center front with Ring billed Gulls), Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013
Bonaparte's Gull, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013
Lesser Scaup, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013
Greater Scaup, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013
Bufflehead, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013
Bufflehead, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, Apr 14, 2013

Just got back from another great trip down to Costa Rica which produced lots of good birds (more info and photos to follow in future posts).  During my absence spring migration around here appears to have cranked up nicely and I spent a few hours this morning in a jet lag/sleep deprivation fog trying to catch up with new arrivals.  I managed to add several new species to my county list for the year. I began at home with Chipping Sparrow (#113) and then headed over to Quabbin Park.  I started at Winsor Dam where I quickly added Lesser Scaup (#114), Bonaparte's Gull (#115), Red necked Grebe (#116) and Pine Warbler (#117).  In addition to these new birds I had two Greater Scaup, a few Horned Grebes and Common Loons.  I then headed through Quabbin Park where I added Yellow bellied Sapsucker (#118), Ruby crowned Kinglet (#119), Hermit Thrush (#120), Palm Warbler (#121) and Yellow rumped Warbler (#122).  The amount of song and variety of species had increased quite a bit from what it was like before I left and sounded like spring even if the temperatures in the high 30's didn't make it feel like spring.  I made another brief stop at Winsor Dam on my way home and found many of the same birds but also added Barn Swallow (#123).  Later in the morning I went for a walk along Jabish Canal and turned up one new species for the year when a Broad winged Hawk (#124) flew over.  I also had at least half a dozen Rusty Blackbirds in the same area along the canal.  A very productive morning with an even dozen new species for the year in Hampshire County.

No comments:

Post a Comment