Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nest boxes at home



The following post is not about a particular bird sighting or trip but instead a post about what I will hope will be the first in a series about birds using the series of nest boxes I have assembled this winter and installed around our couple acres of land.  I have put up three Wood Duck boxes that I hope will be used by either Wood Ducks or Hooded Mergansers which have bred along the stream behind the house in the past.  In addition I built a series of smaller houses for House Wrens and Black-capped Chickadees and slightly larger houses for Tree Swallows or Eastern Bluebirds.  As the breeding season goes on I will periodically update the progress on the use of these houses and hopefully report some success.   Time will tell but I’m certainly hopeful.

2 comments:

  1. All of our Blue Bird/Tree Swallow boxes at Poverty Mountain Farm have field mice residing. I emptied them out in the fall and in mid-winter, but they are chock-a-block full today 3/10. Tree Swallows back and sitting on some boxes (4 swallows) and Blue Birds beginning to show. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mice are a constant issue. Glad to see you have Tree Swallows back. None here yet but quite a few Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers in the stream.

    ReplyDelete