Saturday, March 17, 2012

Info on tagged goose and eggs in a nest box

Canada Goose (E878), Rt 9 marsh, Quabbin, March 12, 2012

I found a tagged Canada Goose at the Route 9 marsh on February 28 and March 12  and forwarded the information to the USGS bird banding site www.reportband.gov .   The bird had a yellow neck collar with the ID of "E878" written in black letters.  I just got some info back about the bird.  The female was banded in Berlin, Connecticut by the CT Dept. of Environmental Protection on 6/29/2004 and was an adult at that time (born in 2003 or earlier).  It was interesting to see the journey the bird has made so far.

My weekly check of my nest boxes here at home turned up two eggs in one of the wood duck boxes.  I suspect the eggs are Wood Duck eggs as there was a female nearby when I went down to check the boxes.  She should lay several more eggs over the next few days.  I'll check it next week and see what progress she has made.  Very happy to see the boxes being productive.  No other activity in the other boxes yet but stay tuned.  I'll try to get a few photos when I check them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment