Saturday, December 17, 2011

Barrow's Goldeneye at Quabbin Park

Barrow's Goldeneye, Quabbin Park, MA, Dec 17,2011

Barrow's Goldeneye, Quabbin Park, MA, Dec 17,2011

Common and Barrow's Goldeneye, Quabbin Park, MA, Dec 17,2011

Common and Barrow's Goldeneye, Quabbin Park, MA, Dec 17,2011

Common and Barrow's Goldeneye, Quabbin Park, MA, Dec 17,2011

I headed over to Quabbin Park this morning to see what might be around on this cool morning.  I'm still trying to get back into cold weather mode after being in the tropics and it is not easy!  I was lucky to come across a couple goldeneyes at Winsor Dam.  Both birds were females with one being a Common Goldeneye and the other a Barrow's Goldeneye.  The Barrow's has the yellow bill, the more rounded darker brown head and shorter bill overall.  I would love to hear other opinions on this bird if anyone thinks it is something other than a Barrow's.  I have included a few photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment