Monday, September 7, 2015

Labor Day weekend birding

Black capped Chickadee, Sabin St, Belchertown, MA, Sep 7, 2015
Eastern Towhee, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 7, 2015
Merlin, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 7, 2015
Black and White Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 7, 2015
Today I stayed close to home once again and concentrated my time at Quabbin Park.  I had some great luck early on before sunrise when I had four Eastern Whip Poor Wills still calling as well as one each of Virginia Rail and Sora calling at the Route 9 marsh.  I then spent the next few hours in Quabbin park itself tracking down mixed species flocks.  Certainly some migrants moving through with eleven species of warblers among the other 55+ species.  Full lists below:
Killdeer, Paradise Pond, Northampton, MA, Sep 6, 2015
White tailed Deer fawns, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Sep 6, 2015
Eastern Phoebe, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Sep 6, 2015
I spent Sunday morning trying to catch up with shorebirds in honor of International Shorebird Day but managed to find just a few with nothing unusual. I stopped at Paradise Pond, Arcadia, the Honey Pot and a couple other spots and turned up six species of shorebird including Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs and Least Sandpiper. So far for the fall I have found a dozen shorebird species with some unusual ones including Short billed Dowitcher, Upland Sandpiper and White rumped Sandpiper. I have failed to turn up any American Golden Plovers or Buff breasted Sandpipers so far despite much effort. A grand total of fifteen shorebirds in the county for the year is decent but hopefully I will add a bit to that total before the season ends. I also spent a little time at Silvio Conte NWR looking for other migrants but overall it was fairly quiet although running across a couple White tailed Deer fawns that were sleeping just off the trail was neat.

Black throated Green Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 5, 2015
Eastern Towhee, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 5, 2015
Northern Cardinal, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 5, 2015
American Redstart, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 5, 2015
Gray Catbird, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 5, 2015
On Saturday I stayed around Quabbin Park in search of passerine migrants and had a few mixed species flocks with the highlights in among them being Cape May Warbler and Yellow bellied Flycatcher. I also stopped at Winsor Dam before dawn and had at least three Eastern Whip Poor Wills still calling plus I had two Merlins moving south.

No comments:

Post a Comment