Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Some rain and a few birds


Red breasted Mergansers (really!), Quabbin Park, June 4, 2014
Red breasted Mergansers (really!), Quabbin Park, June 4, 2014
Red breasted Mergansers (really!), Quabbin Park, June 4, 2014
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, June 4, 2014
Winsor Dam with Common Mergansers and Canada Geese, Quabbin Park, June 4, 2014
I got woken up early by a thunderstorm this morning so I got up a bit early.  Once Wilson got settled down after the storm passed I headed over to Quabbin in the hopes of finding something of interest brought down by the storms.  At Winsor Dam I had a half dozen Common Mergansers but I don’t think these were storm related as I have had them around on and off for weeks now.  Without finding anything at Winsor Dam I made a quick run over to Goodnough Dike and had a little more luck when I ran across a group of three distant Red breasted Mergansers.  They seemed ready to fly off as they kept flapping and moving around but they were still there when I left.  With more rain forecast to arrive just before dawn and continue all day tomorrow perhaps some late migrant will be forced down (Arctic Tern, Red Phalarope, other shorebirds....who knows?)
Winsor Dam before the storms arrive, June 3, 2014
Before the storms of yesterday evening I headed over to Winsor Dam in the hopes of finding some nighthawks (or something even more unusual).  I managed to get one Common Nighthawk moving past calling but little else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment