Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My 200th species for the county this year.

 
Blackpoll Warbler, Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, May 14, 2014
Blackburnian Warbler, Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, May 14, 2014
Northern Waterthrush, Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, May 14, 2014
Wilson's Warbler, Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, May 14, 2014
Least Sandpipers, Rail Trail, Amherst, MA, May 14, 2014
Semipalmated Plover, Old Pilgrim Airport, Hatfield, MA, May 14, 2014
Yet another great day of birding around the valley with various stops producing more great birds including my 200th species (Semipalmated Plover) for the county his year. I had set myself a goal of trying to reach 200 before May 15th and I managed it with a day to spare! I really just wanted to see if I could beat my pace from my record setting county year last year when I reached 200 on May 18th. A really good year so far. I caught up with the Semipalmated Plover up at the Old Pilgrim Airport around dawn before I headed back across the river to Larch Hill CA and then down to the rail trail. No luck finding the previously reported Mourning Warbler at Larch Hill but still had a number of warblers there. The mud flat at Hop Brook along the rail trail produced 31 Least Sandpipers, a couple each of Spotted Sandpipers and Killdeer plus half a dozen Solitary Sandpipers. The warblers were also out in force there too including my first of the year Tennessee Warbler which became species #201 for the county this year. Yet again lots of other highlights which you can see in the attached eBird lists.

Old Pilgrim Airport
 
Larch Hill CA
 
Rail trail Amherst

Tomorrow will be my annual Mother's Day birding get together with my Mom. I take her out for a morning in May somewhere around Mother's Day to show her the birds around the area and these events have had an uncanny ability to produce some unusual birds including Black Vulture (several years ago when they were much rarer), Sandhill Crane, Golden winged Warbler and Red Phalarope...what rarity awaits us tomorrow...who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment