Thursday, November 21, 2013

Winsor Dam the last few mornings


Winsor Dam at dawn, Nov 21, 2013
Winsor Dam at dawn, Nov 21, 2013
I have had just a little time in the morning the last few days so I have made quick stops at a few locations.   This morning I headed over to Winsor Dam and arrived to find the water calm but almost totally fog covered.  I scanned a bit but could only come up with gulls leaving their roost.  Without much luck there and the cold temperatures likely freezing all the shallow water areas I headed for work instead of checking a few any other areas.  Just a quick mention of a species to be on the lookout for now....a Snowy Owl was spotted yesterday along the shore of a small reservoir in Worcester County and was seen well by many.  A few more have been sighted in Maine and Quebec the last few days also so perhaps an early incursion of this species is underway?  It’s too early to tell but certainly a bird to keep your eyes out for.  I know I will be scanning the exposed shoreline of Quabbin a bit more carefully now.  A stop late in the day at Winsor Dam was equally unproductive.


Yesterday I made a brief stop at a very windy Winsor Dam around sunrise and had a flock of 54 Black Scoters flying back and forth as well as at least 22 Black Ducks and 126 Mallards flying south and west (likely leaving a roost).  Wish I had more time to look for other stuff at Quabbin but my time was limited and it was really chilly.  A further stop at a partially frozen Hadley Cove produced the usual suspects of Canada Geese, Mallards and some Black Ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment