Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Red Crossbills Type 1 at Quabbin over the weekend


 
Red Crossbills (Type 1), Prescott Peninsula, MA, Sept 1, 2012
I just got back an email from Matt Young at Cornell regarding my latest recordings of Red Crossbills obtained on Saturday.  This time all the birds recorded were Type 1.  During my last trip into Prescott in mid August the birds found were all Type 2.  The odd part is that it appears that the majority of birds invading the northeast are actually Type 3 birds but I have not found any of those as of yet.  It will be interesting to see how the remainder of the season works out with this influx and the various types that are involved.  Once again I encourage anyone who comes across any crossbills to record them so an analysis can be done to find out exactly what specific type of Red Crossbill is present.  I will see if I can add some audio tracks of these birds later.

2 comments:

  1. What I like most. On closer inspection. Crossbills. The fans go crazy.

    ReplyDelete