Thursday, February 9, 2012

Florida Day 4 (Jan 31)

Caspian Tern, Viera Wetlands, FL, Jan 31, 2012

Glossy Ibis, Viera Wetlands, FL, Jan 31, 2012

Ring-necked Ducks, Viera Wetlands, FL, Jan 31, 2012

Northern Shovelers, Viera Wetlands, FL, Jan 31, 2012

Wood Stork, Viera Wetlands, FL, Jan 31, 2012

My last full day in Florida I started with a dawn trip up to the Viera Wetlands.  I had visited this place in the past but I have never been here at dawn before so I was excited to be here before the large crowds arrived.  One of the first birds seen here was an adult Peregrine Falcon that buzzed through the area.  I spent most of the morning here before moving back south.  This man made wetland held many great birds with a wide variety of ducks, waders, raptors and others.  The number of American Coots was quite impressive with large rafts out on some of the larger water areas totaling in the thousands.  Following my morning long stop here I headed back toward Melbourne stopping briefly at Lake Washington as well as Nixon Park in Melbourne before making it back out to the beach.  At the beach the usual suspects were present and the number of Northern Gannets topped over 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment