Thursday, February 23, 2012

Brief stop at Winsor Dam and Route 9 marsh

Common Merganser, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 23, 2012

Common Merganser, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 23, 2012

Despite fighting a cold I decided to get out a little and headed over to Quabbin Park to make a couple quick stops before the predicted rain showers moved in.  The morning started off fairly warm around 40 degrees.  As per usual I stopped briefly at Winsor Dam to see what birds might be on the water first thing in the morning.  The Bald Eagle was sitting on the nest but his/her mate was not in sight.  A group of three Common Mergansers were the only waterfowl present.  I experimented a little more with getting photos through the scope with my iPhone.  Not the best in quality but an interesting way to document a bird if I don't have my regular camera with me.  After about 15 minutes here I headed east to make a brief stop at the route 9 marsh.  The marsh is now almost completely ice free with large amounts of open water on both sides of route 9.  A total of 14 Hooded Mergansers were present as well as half a dozen Canada Geese plus a couple of calling Red-winged Blackbirds 


No comments:

Post a Comment