Saturday, September 26, 2009

Western gates of Quabbin and Jabish Canal




I spent the early to mid morning exploring Gates 22, 16 and 10 again. The morning started off quite frosty with a temperature around freezing and a scattering of frost in New Salem. The warbler numbers and variety continue to drop but the sparrows continue to grow. It looks as if White throated Sparrows are really starting to push in and I had my first juncos of the season (outside their breeding areas in the hills). I also had a few Winter Wrens scattered at different locations. I did have a Black Throated Green Warbler male that still had its full breeding plumage and for all intent and purpose appeared exactly like a spring bird would. The number of Yellow rump and Palm Warblers also continue to increase. Looks like rain for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment