Friday, May 3, 2024

The first three days of May

Glossy Ibis, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, May 1, 2024
Least Sandpipers, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, May 1, 2024
American Robin with leg band, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 1, 2024
Mourning Dove on nest, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 1, 2024
Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 1, 2024
Red eyed Vireo, Quabbin Park, MA, May 1, 2024
Nashville Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 1, 2024
Black and White Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 1, 2024
Ruby crowned Kinglet, Quabbin Park, MA, May 1, 2024
Northern Parula, Quabbin Park, MA, May 1, 2024
Carolina Wren nest, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 1, 2024

The first three days of May has seen a decent influx of species and I have tried to get out as much as I can.  My back injury has certainly curtailed my typical activity this time of year as it hurts too much to go off the beaten path.  I can certainly say that I'm thankfully I have a light camera set up now as there is no way I could lug around my old 7D with the way I have been feeling.  I had to drop some work paperwork off in Northampton and headed there before dawn after walking up at 3AM and then finally getting out of bed around 4:15 and needed to enjoy the seat warmer in the car for a bit and then take some walks to loosen the back up for the day.  The first day of the month produced an amazing 118 species.  I'm sure I could have added several more species with more effort off the trail but not to be at this point. 

Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Rail trail, Ware, MA, May 2, 2024
Baltimore Oriole, Quabbin Park, MA, May 2, 2024
Ovenbird, Quabbin Park, MA, May 2, 2024
Red Crossbill, Quabbin Park, MA, May 2, 2024
Canada Goose goslings, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 2, 2024
Great crested Flycatcher, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 2, 2024

The second started off quite cool and cloudy with occasional drizzle but once the sun broke out late in the morning it warmed up rapidly with temps near 80.  The radar overnight showed lots of birds moving and I had thoughts of walking at Skinner SP but my back just said no so I stayed in level areas.  I found a few new species over the course of the day and eked out another 100 species day with the last bird of the day being a Lincoln's Sparrow at home. 

Cape May Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 3, 2024
Baltimore Oriole, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 3, 2024
Pine Warbler, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2024
Blue headed Vireo, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2024
Bald Eagles, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2024

Today I made a few early walks in Hadley after another good night of migration.  It was yet another cloudy start but not as cold as the day before.  The most noticeable species for the morning seemed to be Nashville Warblers with quite a few at multiple locations.  I really wanted to walk the ridge on the Holyoke range but I figured my back would not be able to take the uneven surfaces.  I stuck to even paths to avoid any issues.  I didn't stay out as long as previous days and despite that I was able to reach 102 species for the day.  The house was quite productive with quite a few warblers around (a dozen species at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment