Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Influx of species to end April

Mallard duckling, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 30, 2024
Mallard ducklings with adult, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 30, 2024
American Robin with leucism on nest, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 30, 2024
Magnolia Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 30, 2024
Black throated Blue Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 30, 2024
Prairie Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 30, 2024
Field Sparrow, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 30, 2024
Red Crossbill, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 29, 2024
Eastern Cottontail, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 29, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 26, 2024
Veery, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 26, 2024
Canada Geese with goslings, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 24, 2024
Great Blue Herons at nest, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 24, 2024
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 30, 2024

The end of April has now arrived and the last few days have brought in a number of new species as migration conditions have improved.  This influx (along with a few rarities) pushed my monthly total for Hampshire County to a record 156 species (my previous best for April was 151 in 2019).  Due to the weather we have had for the last few weeks the trees have not popped out their leaves as much as they usually do by this point which has made finding bird higher up a bit easier.  Unfortunately I recently hurt my back at work, which has curtailed some of my birding plans going forward through May. The only silver lining is that walking is about the only thing that makes the pain go away for a bit and the doctor has encouraged walking as much as I can tolerate. I will be out as much as I can be but long, steeper hikes will have to wait a bit.  The last three days of the month have given me a taste of what is to come as migration heads toward its peak in May.  I have added 23 new species in just the last three days including a few early arrivals.  Beyond the new arrivals coming in by the day, earlier arriving species have already got fledglings out and about.

I have managed to have some good stuff at the house as I spend more time there.  I got my first photo of a Field Sparrow in the yard as it fed along with White throated Sparrows and Song Sparrows on the lawn.  The deck boxes have cameras on them just waiting for the Hooded Mergansers to fledge.  I have also seen at least two banded Black capped Chickadees still kicking around the yard.  In addition I have had a lucky 13species of warbler so far just in the yard.  More on warblers at the end of April can be found at the following link:  end of April warblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment