Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Hooded Warbler today

Louisiana Waterthrush, Hadley, MA, Apr 23, 2024
Black and White Warbler, UMASS, Amherst, MA, Apr 23, 2024
Ruby crowned Kinglet, UMASS, Amherst, MA, Apr 23, 2024

After several nights of nearly nonexistent migration conditions, last night finally brought in some better conditions (not quite perfect but certainly better).  I set out before dawn with the hopes of finding some new arrivals.  I started my morning in Hadley where I spent a bit over an hour walking along the river and finding some stuff with nothing out of the ordinary.  The morning temps started off below freezing which almost certainly explains the lack of activity early on.  Once I finished up in Hadley I headed up to UMASS where I had five species of warbler including my first Yellow Warbler of the season and a photogenic Black and White Warbler.  There were also loads of Ruby crowned Kinglets constantly fliting through the trees.  

Great Blue Heron on nest, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 23, 2024

By this point it was around 8:30 and I had to decide where to go next before heading home and I was originally going to go to Silvio Conte NWR I decided instead to head to Lake Wallace.  Not long after I arrived there I got a message from Greg letting me know that a group of young birders had found a Hooded Warbler at Silvio Conte.  Although I would not typically go back to a general area I just left, for an unusual warbler I almost always will. 
Hooded Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 23, 2024
Hooded Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 23, 2024
Black capped Chickadee with nesting material, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 23, 2024

I made my way back to Hadley to Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River where I arrived around 9:30 and headed to the area where the warbler was reported.  Although I had a few Palm Warbler and Yellow rumped Warbler I had no luck seeing or hearing the Hooded Warbler.  I decided to try a few nearby areas that had great habitat for the warbler.  Along the way I had great looks at a chickadee as it collected nest material.  After looking for a bit I heard an odd song that I was almost certain was the Hooded Warbler and after looking for a bit I had looks at the Hooded Warbler (an unusual sighting at any point and even more unusual given the date...my previous earliest of the species in the county was April 30th in 2021).  I got some recordings and photos and was able to get a few other nearby birders on the bird.  I got word out to others and most got to see it.   A more detailed write up on the warbler can be found at the following link: Hooded Warbler.  

I then headed home to pick up Wilson to go for a walk where we added a Northern Waterthrush for the year and then once home I added a House Wren.  Overall for the day I added five new species for the year in the county...just a taste of what is to come as migration ramps up.  As a note there was a male Painted Bunting seen at a feeder today so certainly possible some other southern overshoot species are out there just waiting to be found.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment