Sunday, May 5, 2024

Sedge Wren today

Wood Duck with ducklings, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 5, 2024
Gray Catbird with leg band, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 5, 2024
Black throated Green Warbler, UMASS, Amherst, MA, May 5, 2024
Least Flycatcher, UMASS, Amherst, MA, May 5, 2024
Wilson's Warbler, UMASS, Amherst, MA, May 5, 2024

After hearing about a Sedge Wren that Scott and a birding group found yesterday in Hadley I decided to head there early to see if I could relocate it.  I didn't feel up to a drive over to make an attempt yesterday as my back was hurting.  I headed over early before the rain was predicted to arrive and despite some sprinkles and spits of rain the morning was mainly dry and quite cool with a bit of a breeze at times.  I walked the area where it was heard previously and after my second trip down the short path I could hear it singing.  It continued to sing the entire time I was there and I got some recordings.  As is typical with the species, it hardly ever showed itself and when it did it was only a fleeting glimpse.  Nonetheless I was happy to see it still around in what looks like suitable breeding habitat.  Hopefully people will not pressure the bird with using playback or tramping through the field to try to get a photo.  I also spent a little time walking other trails in the area in a vain attempt to find a Least Bittern reported in the area a few days before.  I let others know about the Sedge Wren still hanging around before I moved on to a few other spots in the Amherst area where I had to run some errands.  I then took another walk to loosen up my back and UMASS and I had some more good luck there with a very uncooperative Orange crowned Warbler in a mixed flock.  Try as I might I had no luck getting a photo and had to be content with brief looks at what is a hard to get warbler species here, especially in the spring (more on the warbler at the following link).  I then headed home before the rain arrived and then spent the rest of the day with a heating pad on my back and muscle relaxers taking the edge off.

No comments:

Post a Comment