Thursday, August 16, 2012

First Common Nighthawks have arrived

Common Nighthawk at home, taken in August 2011

A quick observation note from yesterday regarding my first of the season Common Nighthawk.  The August 15th date is the about the date I expect to see the first ones show up on their long migration south.  As the next few weeks go on the numbers should pick up with a peak typically in late August.  The earliest date I have ever had them here at home is August 13th in 2010.

I will also be taking part in the ongoing study of Common Nighthawk migration again this year as part of the "SuAsCo/Nashua Rivers and Beyond Survey".  The website for this research can be found here:
http://www.borobirding.net/

I will update occasionally on this species as the season progresses.

2 comments:

  1. Great shot Larry! Can't wait to get a FOY myself but don't think I'll be lucky enough to see one as nicely as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are tough guys to get good photos of. I hope to get some decent ones this year. I had 9 more come by last night but too high up for photos...perhaps tonight they will be lower?

    ReplyDelete