Friday, August 17, 2012

A little morning birding before work


Wood Duck, Green Heron and Mallard lined up, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, August 17, 2012

River Otter eating fish,  Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, August 17, 2012
I had a few minutes before work this morning so I made a brief stop at Lake Wallace and the fields near the old state school in Belchertown.  There were a total of 22 Killdeer on the fields.  Lake Wallace still held 100+ Mallards as well as 42 Wood Ducks.  No other waterfowl were obvious but I didn’t have the time to spend too much time looking around.  The best bird of the day was seen just as I was leaving as I noticed a flycatcher perched in the top of a dead snag.  A quick look revealed it to be my first of the year Olive-sided Flycatcher (county bird #192 this year).  I got a good look at the bird but it moved further away and out of view before I could get a digiscoped shot of it.  Another sighting of note was a River Otter munching away on a freshly caught fish. Before heading over to Lake Wallace I had a continuing Louisiana Waterthrush still singing a partial song along the stream near the house.

Barn Swallows, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 17, 2012

Barn Swallow, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 17, 2012

Tree Swallow, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 17, 2012
Tonight I spent a bit of time at home looking for Common Nighthawks and was rewarded with a total of nine all moving west/northwest fairly high.  Also a few Barn and Tree Swallows feeding over the house.

Today may be the last day of hot and humid weather for awhile as a cold front pushes through tonight and brings lowers temperatures and lower humidity’s for the next week with highs in the upper 70’s and lows in the 50’s.  The change in weather will likely lead to some decent migration conditions for a variety of species.

No comments:

Post a Comment