Saturday, July 21, 2012

Red Crossbills

Red Crossbills, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Red Crossbill, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Red Crossbill, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012
Today I decided to head into the permit only, restricted access Prescott Peninsula to check my Whip-poor-will survey route as I want to make some minor changes for next years route.  I have been meaning to do this for several weeks but I got a kick to make the trip up there when I got an e-mail in the middle of the week from a friend that is doing research in there and he came across some Red Crossbills recently.  I found Red Crossbills breeding in a few areas of the peninsula during the Massachusetts Breeding Bird Atlas.  This is one of the few areas in the state where this species has bred.  I started in around 6am and ran across a Moose fairly early.  I made it down to the area where the crossbills had been days ago but despite quite a bit of looking around I did not find them there.  Knowing how much the birds like to roam I was not surprised they were not in the immediate area still.  I then drove further down my whip-poor-will route always keeping an ear out for anything good.  I finally heard my first Red Crossbills about half way down the peninsula and got some quick views of a few males and females.  During my ride back out I came across an additional two groups of two (one male and female together and a group of two females) plus a flyover bird calling a bit further on.  The total for the morning was nine Red Crossbills although there may have been more in the flyover group.  Given the number I ran across I would advise anyone around Quabbin to be on the lookout for this species as they disperse.

Indigo Bunting, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Indigo Bunting, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Indigo Bunting fledgling, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Moose, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Magnolia Warbler,Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Yellow-rumped Warbler, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012

Red-breasted Nuthatch, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012
Other birds of note included a very cooperative Indigo Bunting with two fledglings in attendance, a mixed species flock of various warblers, vireos and sparrows and many other expected birds.  The amount of bird song has trailed off quite a bit but some birds were still singing occasionally.  Without song it is a bit more difficult to track down some species I know are still around in large numbers but are not very obvious, such as Ovenbirds. 
American Woodcock, Prescott Peninsula, July 21, 2012
I also ran across an American Woodcock sitting in the road that allowed fairly close approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment