Saturday, January 16, 2010

Winsor Dam and Quabbin Gate 5

I made it over to Winsor Dam again to get a more accurate number of robins roosting in the area. The real movement started at 6:55 and largely ended by 7:15. My total amounted to 4600+ American Robins. Most were moving south or southeast. I also had a handful of Hooded Mergansers, a few Bald Eagles and a Common Loon at gate 5. In addition to these birds I had a Winter Wren singing a half song several times mid morning at home. It appears the temp's in the mid 40's inspired a bit of song on his part.

2 comments:

  1. OH! Wow! Thats a lot of robins. I counted over 200 one spring migration. But thousands....I enjoyed looking at your bird pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed alot! Most I have had together around here. It has been a great winter for robins hanging around. Glad you enjoy the photos.

    ReplyDelete