Saturday, October 24, 2009

Another rainy weekend day...

In between the rain showers this morning I managed to get out and explore a few spots including Quabbin Park and gate 5. I had hopes of finding some waterfowl given the weather and had some luck. I managed a total of nine Common Loons at Quabbin Park plus a trio of White winged Scoters and a couple Horned Grebes one of which called several times as it swam not more than 30 feet from me. There was also a large (700+) mixed flock of grackles, blackbirds and cowbirds feeding along the shore of the Rt 9 marsh.

At gate 5 I made it down to the shore just in time to have the rain start back up in earnest. Despite getting soaked I had a good little walk with a trio of Long tailed Ducks (two males) and a pair of loons and three white winged scoter (probably same ones sighted from Winsor Dam)

Due to the weather I was not able to get any photos for the day...maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment