Sunday, August 30, 2009

Various Quabbin gates on the west side....


I visited a few Quabbin gates this morning starting with Gate 22 and ending with Gate 10. I walked to the water from Gate 22 over the course of two and a half hours. Despite the lingering fog I managed a total of six Common Loons at the water with one calling. I ran across several mixed species feeding flocks over the course of the walk with some birds giving good views while a large number remained quite high up, mainly in oaks. My next stop was Gate 16 where I again walked to the water and then further down the road for another 3/4 of a mile. Again several mixed species feeding flocks with a nice selection of birds. My final stop for the morning was Gate 10 which I walked only a relatively short distance on. After leaving Gate 10 I had an unusually sighting of a Broad winged hawk soaring around with a Common Nighhawk at 11:15 in the morning along Rt 202 near gate 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment