Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Common Nighthawks August 24 and 25







I have had some great luck with Nighthawks the last couple evenings. Yesterday at home turned out to be one of the best nights I have ever had for Nighthawks. It started slow but when I went back outside after dinner around 6:40 the show began. There were dozens then hundreds of birds feeding right over the house for around 45 minutes. I was in awe of the numbers and great looks. The total for the night was a very conservative 388. On the 25th I watched from Northampton and ended the night with a total just over 400 plus an equally impressive number of 500+ Bobolinks coming to roost. All this plus thousands and thousands of Grackles and blackbirds going to roost made for another fine evening. I still have to download photos from last night to see if I got any 'keepers'.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice nighthawk pictures! I have never seen them this close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...These guys were right at tree top level over the house for 45 minutes...snapped through alot of photos to get these keepers.

    ReplyDelete