Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Slow migration with occasional rain and southerly winds


Yellow Warbler, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Sep 10, 2022
Chestnut sided Warbler, Hadley, MA, Sep 11, 2022
Common Yelllowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 11, 2022
Turkey Vulture interacting with Peregrine Falcon, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Sep 11, 2022
Tennessee Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Sep 12, 2022
Eastern tailed Blue, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 13, 2022
Porcupine, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 13, 2022
Spider species, Home, Belchertown, MA, Sep 12, 2022

Although the conditions were less than ideal for multiple days from the weekend until today there were still birds around and I got out at least a little each day.  I checked multiple areas with a little time spent in the East Meadows on Saturday looking for any lingering shorebirds and finding very few.  On Sunday I spent a few hours at Arcadia and then hit some spots in Hadley but the morning fog that just did not want to lift made turning up birds a bit tough at times.  In the afternoon I made my way down to the Holyoke Dam and had the typical stuff but got to see some interesting interactions between a juvenile Turkey Vulture and a juvenile Peregrine Falcon.  The vulture walked along the top of the dam and right up to the falcon and touched it before they both just sat there taking it all in.  Monday started off with drizzle and then stayed overcast until late in the day.  I spent a lot of my morning at Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River and eventually ran across a fairly decent mixed flock (one of my best so far this fall).  On Tuesday I stayed close to home due to on again, off again rain.  The birding was very slow but I did have some interesting stuff for the morning including a tiny Porcupine that I came across before dawn as I tracked down a late Eastern Whip Poor Will plus some butterflies.  A cold front is coming through later today and after that the winds will switch out of the north and there should be a big influx in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment