Saturday, September 17, 2022

Four mornings at Arcadia

Lincoln's Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 17, 2022
Common Yellowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 17, 2022
Savannah Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 17, 2022
Nashville Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 17, 2022
Fog at dawn, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 17, 2022

The migration conditions have been great the last four nights after several days of less than stellar conditions.  I spent at least a part of the last four morning at Arcadia trying to catch up with newly arrived migrants with a big target being Connecticut Warbler.  I'll cover today here with the previous three days covered below.  I arrived at Arcadia to a little fog and cold temps in the 40's.  I had a number of American Woodcocks flying around before dawn plus calling Wood Thrushes in a few spots.  The little amount of fog present burned off quick and the day warmed up slowly.  I expected a good amount of migrants but it was a little slower than I hoped.  Nonetheless I still had some great stuff with the highlight being a Connecticut Warbler that popped up ever so briefly before disappearing back into a hedge never to be seen again despite a lot of effort.  I was happy to see it but would have loved a longer look and perhaps a few photos but not today.  Other good stuff around for the morning, among the nearly 70 species, included a couple Least Flycatchers, a lucky 13 Eastern Phoebes, small groups of Blue Jays migrating south, nearly a dozen House Wrens, a dozen Lincoln's Sparrows, my first White throated Sparrows of the fall and a total of ten species of warblers (lots more on warblers for the last week at the following link).  I was not able to cover some other spots at Arcadia as a folk fest was going on so probably missed out on some other species I could have gotten easily for the day.  I managed a total of 97 species at Arcadia over the four mornings I was there this week as fall migration reaches it peak (at least as far as passerine diversity is concerned).

Philadelphia Vireo, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 16, 2022
Lincoln's Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 16, 2022
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 16, 2022

Although I only had a limited amount of time on Friday due to a class I had to take at 8:30 I still hoped I would find lots of birds as once again the migration conditions were great and I heard lots of flight calls early in the evening the night before.  I arrived before dawn to a very cold Arcadia with a temperature of 41 degrees!  I started off with multiple American Woodcocks flying around and calling a little.  Despite the cool temps birds started calling well before the sun was even up.  The patchy fog blocked out the sun a bit from warming things up as early as I had hoped.  The total warbler number and diversity was very disappointing with just 7 species with a few of those being just a single individual.  I did have a few highlights for the morning including two Philadelphia Vireos, at least four Wood Thrushes, my first Ruby crowned Kinglets of the fall, three Lincoln's Sparrows and at least one Dickcissel.  I wish I could have stayed longer to see if activity picked up once the sun really warmed things up.

Northern Parula, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 15, 2022
Yellow Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 15, 2022
Viceroy, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 15, 2022
Least Flycatcher, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Sep 15, 2022
Philadelphia Vireo, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Sep 15, 2022
Black and White Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Sep 15, 2022

With great migration conditions overnight into Thursday morning I had high hopes as I headed over to Arcadia once again but it was actually a bit slower than the day before.  I still had good stuff but I was expecting more.  It was already a little breezy when I arrived but not too bad until around 7:30 and it increased from there and eventually made seeing movement in the trees and bushes nearly impossible.  Early on I did have some good stuff but nothing too out of the ordinary but a total of 61 species considering the conditions was fairly good.

After activity at Arcadia had trailed off considerably I decided to try my luck at Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River and that stop produced some good stuff despite the continued windy conditions.  Highlights included an unidentified empidonax flycatcher, a late Least Flycatcher that actually was singing a bit, at least two (possibly three) Philadelphia Vireos, ten species of warbler (with at least three Tennessee Warblers) among the nearly 35 species over the course of an hour and a half.

Common Yellowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022
Palm Warbler 'western', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022
Yellow Warblers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022
House Wren, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022
Warbling Vireo, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022
Least Flycatcher, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 14, 2022

On Wednesday morning I headed over to Arcadia for my first of four mornings and spent nearly four hours combing through the various fields and hedgerows.  The wind picked up by a little after eight and then kept increasing so it became increasingly difficult to see movement.  Even without perfect conditions throughout the morning I still came away with 70+ species there with several highlights including the following:  a slightly late Least Flycatcher, around a dozen House Wrens and 13 species of warbler (including a Mourning Warbler, five Yellow Warblers and my first Palm Warblers of the fall including one 'yellow' Palm Warbler).  

No comments:

Post a Comment