Sunday, May 29, 2022

Poverty Mountain bird survey

Black Bear, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 29, 2022
Belted Kingfisher, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 29, 2022
Fog over the marsh, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 29, 2022

I made the trek over to Kevin and Cynthia's property this morning to conduct the annual bird count there.  I have lost count of how many years I have been doing this survey but I suppose it must be over 15 by now.  Before making it over to conduct the survey I took a walk along the rail trail in Amherst in the hopes of finding some late migrants and had some luck when I ran across an Acadian Flycatcher.  Most of the remaining birds appeared to be breeders.  The best non birding sighting of the morning was a Black Bear that appeared out of the fog at the edge of the marsh.

I arrived up at the bird survey site around 7AM and then went out with a number of other birders and we managed to find a total of 26 species for our portion of the survey during two hours of walking.  I'm still waiting to hear back the overall total from Kevin and I will post those numbers when I get them.  It was a gorgeous day to explore their impressive property and the weather could not have been better with comfortable temps, low humidity, no wind and sunny skies and almost no mosquitoes or other annoying insects.  


No comments:

Post a Comment