Friday, May 7, 2021

Review of the first week of May

Blue winged Warbler, Sweet Alice Conservation Area, Amherst, MA, May 7, 2021

The first week of May has now come to an end and so far it has been quite productive despite multiple days of less than ideal migration conditions.  So far I have had 145 species in Hampshire County for the month (which is a bit ahead of a typical May at this point)...warblers are a big part of the spring migration and an update on them so far for the month can be found at the following link.  I will give a quick synopsis day by day for the first week below.  

Brown Thrasher, Slobody Conservation Area, Amherst, MA, May 1, 2021
Red tailed Hawk, Slobody Conservation Area, Amherst, MA, May 1, 2021

To kick off May I hit a number of areas in the valley and although it was a bit slow there were certainly still many birds to see with a total number of species for the day coming it at a respectable 89.  The weather was a bit chilly and this certainly kept the activity curtailed a bit....at least it was sunny!
Black and White Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 2, 2021
Cerulean Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 2, 2021
Great Blue Heron, Quabbin Park, MA, May 2, 2021

On the morning of the second I spent four plus hours at Quabbin Park where I found loads of birds with highlights including continued Red Crossbills and a Cerulean Warbler among 91 species.
Wood Thrush, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2021
Glossy Ibis, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 3, 2021
Lawrence's Warbler, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2021

I was feeling a bit under the weather on Monday but as the day wore on I started feeling better and managed to get out a little and during that time saw a couple of notable birds including Glossy Ibis and Lawrence's Warbler.

Orange crowned Warbler, UMASS, Amherst, MA, May 4, 2021
Pine Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 4, 2021
Magnolia Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 4, 2021

Tuesday was another glooming day with cloudy conditions and occasional rain.  I spent my time in the morning in the local area in various spots of Belchertown and Ware and found some birds despite the conditions.  Around midday I saw a report that the Orange crowned Warbler Ted found at UMASS a few days before was still around so I headed over and eventually got some distant looks at it (a fairly tough species to find in spring around here).  

Bufflehead, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, May 5, 2021

The weather on Wednesday morning was rainy and foggy a first light following some heavy rain overnight which is usually a recipe for some unusual to be forced down.  I only had a short amount of time before work so I made it to Winsor Dam at first light.  The viewing conditions were poor but there was a group of Bonaparte's Gulls that were departing just as I arrived.  I gave it a few more minutes at the dam but without too much activity and my time running short I made the drive to Northampton and checked out the Oxbow which held a group of Bufflehead but not much of note.  Some odd stuff showed up there not long after I left and other areas also had a nice selection of terns and waterfowl.  

Solitary Sandpiper, Amherst, MA, May 6, 2021
Rusty Blackbird, Amherst, MA, May 6, 2021
Blue winged Teal, Meadow St, Amherst, MA, May 6, 2021

After work yesterday I headed over to the Oxbow in the faint hope of something unusual hanging around for another day but no luck.  The high water levels and boat activity did not help.  I then hit a few spots in Amherst mainly looking for shorebirds and waterfowl and ran across a few flooded areas that held some noteworthy species with seven species of shorebird including a nice showing of Solitary Sandpipers and Greater Yellowlegs.  I then headed east to Winsor Dam to scan the water.  When I arrived a quick rain shower started up but I stayed out in the rain looking and I was rewarded with a Caspian Tern, at least one Black Tern and eight Bonaparte's Gulls plus several hundred swallows of five different species.  I relocated to Gate 5 to try to get better views and photos but by the time I arrived there the terns were gone and not seen again.  The gulls were still around and the swallow show was just as impressive there.

Cerulean Warbler, Skinner SP, Hadley, MA, May 7, 2021
Worm eating Warbler, Skinner SP, Hadley, MA, May 7, 2021
Canada Geese goslings, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, May 7, 2021
Lincoln's Sparrow, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, May 7, 2021

Today I started my morning at Mitch's Way where I found a variety of birds including a singing Lincoln's Sparrow.  I then hiked up to the top of the mountain at Skinner SP and had multiple Cerulean Warblers and Worm eating Warblers (among many other species).  I then hit a few spots in Amherst before heading home for the day.  This was the first day I exceeded 100 species for the day (even without much effort)...migration is rapidly nearing its peak. 

Ruby throated Hummingbird, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2021
American Crow, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 5, 2021
Hooded Merganser in nest box 1, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 6, 2021

Meanwhile at home the camera on the water feature continues to capture birds and the two active Hooded Merganser nests continue to have the females sitting on eggs.  I suspect the first box should fledge within the next few days.

3 comments: