Saturday, November 7, 2020

A big warm up and more irruptive species to end the first week of November


White throated Sparrow, Hadley, MA, Nov 7, 2020
American Tree Sparrow, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Nov 7, 2020
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Nov 7, 2020
Belted Kingfisher, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 7, 2020
 Fog over fields, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Nov 7, 2020
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 7, 2020

My original plan was to spend another sunny morning at Arcadia but after having a rather slow morning there yesterday I changed my plans and went elsewhere.  I started off before dawn at a rather chilly (42 degrees) Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River where I had at least four woodcocks displaying plus three species of owls.  I added a decent count of Winter Wrens (three) as well as Fox Sparrows (at least half a dozen).  I then headed over to the Honey Pot where I hoped to catch up with some open area species and perhaps a late warbler.  I was lucky to run into a late Palm Warbler not long after I arrived (more on warblers for the week at the following link).  I also had a large flock of Snow Buntings (at least 73 in a single high flying group) plus one of many groups of Evening Grosbeaks for the day.  I hit a few other spots in Hadley before making my way toward Quabbin with a stop at Winsor Dam and small section of Quabbin Park before heading home.  Winsor Dam was fairly slow but the view was fantastic with near glass like conditions on the water (there was a very cooperative Belted Kingfisher that stayed in the same spot during almost my entire time there).  My last stop at Quabbin Park was more productive with a couple of White winged Crossbills that flew over calling and landed in a pine across a marsh from me.  I was able to watch them in flight and they landed in a pine but despite much effort to find them again in the tree I failed (as did an attempt at a distant recording).  Hopefully just the first of what will be many of this newest irruptive species to arrive (there have been other recent reports in both Hampshire County and further west in the Berkshires).  The White winged Crossbill brings me to a record breaking 243 species in Hampshire County for the year with several weeks to go (my old record was 241 set back in 2018.  With all the irruptives around and some lingering species I have had the best start to a November I have ever had with 111 species so far in Hampshire County...this is amazingly just a couple species shy of my best ever total for the whole month in the county (113 species in 2017).  The next few days are forecast to continue to be sunny with more record setting warmth.  

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 6, 2020
Yellow bellied Sapsucker, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 6, 2020
Fox Sparrows, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 6, 2020
Lesser Scaup, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Nov 6, 2020
Pectoral Sandpiper, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Nov 6, 2020
Greater Yellowlegs, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Nov 6, 2020

Friday morning I headed across the river to Arcadia arriving before dawn (with a brief detour to the Honey Pot to pick up Short eared Owl for the month).  Although it started out cloudy the sun eventually broke through and the temperatures climbed to a new record in the mid 70's.  Arcadia was a bit slower than I expected it to be with nothing too unusual beyond more Evening Grosbeaks.  A few species were around in slightly higher number than typical for this time of year but not extremely high counts.  I next  headed to the East Meadows but that area was even quieter (a slight but continuous breeze probably didn't help).  Without much activity in the meadows I stopped along the river in Hadley and added some waterfowl including two Lesser Scaup plus a Pectoral Sandpiper.  I had some errands to run a bit further south so I headed to the area around the Holyoke Dam in South Hadley where I had some vultures around (at least four Black Vultures and a couple Turkey Vultures) plus a selection of waterfowl, gulls and a Greater Yellowlegs but nothing really rare.  The rest of the day I spent at home catching up on more yard work and enjoying the beautiful weather.

Moose, Quabbin Gate 5, Belchertown, MA, Nov 5, 2020
Moose, Quabbin Gate 5, Belchertown, MA, Nov 5, 2020
Common Mergansers, Quabbin Gate 5, Belchertown, MA, Nov 5, 2020
Purple Finch, Piper Farm Conservation Area, Belchertown, MA, Nov 5, 2020
Pine Siskins, American Goldfinch and Purple Finch, Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Nov 5, 2020
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 5, 2020
Red breasted Mergansers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 5, 2020

The forecast for Thursday was sunny conditions and temperatures climbing to near 70 with a strong southerly wind and the forecast was actually right!  The morning was chilly and not too breezy as I got out before dawn to check for owls (heard several Great Horned Owls).  I also checked the water at Winsor Dam and was surprised to find a nice selection of waterfowl despite the less than ideal migration conditions overnight.  The highlight was a flyby Red throated Loon that I was able to study well in the scope as it moved in from the north.  I took my eyes off it to get my camera as it looked to be about to fly overhead but once I had the camera I could not relocate it.  Other notable waterfowl included five Red breasted Mergansers in two groups, one group also held a Black Scoter.  I had some flyby Evening Grosbeaks at the dam too and ran across this irruptive species at multiple stops over the course of the morning.  With the breeze slowly picking up I headed over to nearby Gate 5 where I had a close encounter with a couple of Moose as I was walking my way to the water.  Always fun to run across this massive creature in the wild.  In addition to other irruptive species there I had a group of four Common Redpolls stop briefly before flying off to the south.  My next two stops were to Piper Farm Conservation Area and the Belchertown Land Trust Trail.  These areas featured more irruptive species as well as a late Gray Catbird.

Lincoln's Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 4, 2020
Fox Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 4, 2020
American Coot, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 4, 2020
Common Yellowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 4, 2020
Pine Warbler, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA, Nov 4, 2020
Eastern Phoebe, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA, Nov 4, 2020

Wednesday began the warm stretch of weather (although it was still fairly chilly around dawn).  After a brief predawn stop at Winsor Dam I headed over to Arcadia where I spent a couple hours before getting a message about another rare bird (more on that below).  Arcadia featured a number of late species including a Lincoln's Sparrow and Common Yellowthroat as well as above normal counts of a few other species among a total of 62 species.  I initially planned to stay a bit longer and then perhaps go to the East Meadows but I noticed a message saying that Aaron found some Pine Grosbeaks in Williamsburg.  I was already in Northampton so I took the drive up and explored the area where he had them and I distantly heard at least one a few times but could never track them down to get a look.  Hopefully this is just the vanguard of yet another irruptive species that will push into the area.  In addition to all the other irruptives that have already arrived there was a sighting of a Boreal Chickadee by James up in New Salem...time will tell if this will be yet another species to arrive in numbers.  After my time in Williamsburg I checked out a few fields in Hadley and Amherst looking for geese but came up empty.  I did run across a large flock of Brown headed Cowbirds and European Starlings in Amherst and picked through the several hundred birds present in the hopes of finding a rarity but no luck.  I then decided to make one last stop before heading home and this stop was to some fields near Hampshire College where I had a couple more late species with the discovery of a Pine Warbler and an Eastern Phoebe.

 Pine Siskin, Home, Belchertown, MA, Nov 7, 2020
Wilson lounging on the deck, Nov 7, 2020
Wilson waiting for the ball to be thrown, Nov 4, 2020

The feeders finally attracted an irruptive species today with the arrival of a few Pine Siskins.  I have had multiple groups of various species flyover the last few weeks but these are the first ones I have noticed making a stop.  Wilson has been enjoying the nice weather but he wishes for more snow to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment