Saturday, April 18, 2020

Glossy Ibis today despite some snow and continued cool temperatures

Morning snow along Jabish Brook, Belchertown, MA, Apr 18. 2020
Wilson enjoying the snow, Covey WMA, Belchertown, MA, Apr 18. 2020
Glossy Ibis, Mallard and Eastern Coyote, North Amherst, MA, Apr 18. 2020
Glossy Ibis, North Amherst, MA, Apr 18. 2020
Blue winged Teal with Green winged Teal, North Amherst, MA, Apr 18. 2020
Today we had what will hopefully be the last bit of snowfall for the year.  Although the predictions were calling for around three inches of snow we thankfully ended up with about an inch (I for one was happy the storm 'under performed' but Wilson was less than happy with less snow to eat).  The roads were clear of snow at dawn so I headed out to hit a few areas close by as the snow continued to fall.  I would have loved to have seen what the weather brought down at Winsor Dam but the area is still closed off so no luck (I do hope the DCR will reconsidered this unnecessary action sometime in the near future).  The other areas I checked during the early morning didn't have anything unusual.  I then headed back home to pick up Wilson and we went for a long walk at Covey WMA during which we got totally soaked as the snow mixed with rain at times and the snow melted off the trees.  Right after I got home from that walk I noticed a report from Mike L. of a Glossy Ibis in a flooded farm field in North Amherst.  I was already planning to make a trip over that way to pick up some supplies for the house at some point during the week so I decided to head over today.  I arrived to find a few other birders in the area and the Glossy Ibis was immediately visible (but quite distant).  An Eastern Coyote was also in the area and explored various parts of the field before disappearing into the woods.  Among the species of waterfowl enjoying the flooded field were two male Blue winged Teal.  I managed photos of all the notable species there but they are distant and less than National Geographic quality.
Mallard, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 17, 2020
Hooded Mergansers Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 17, 2020
Palm Warbler ';yellow', Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 17, 2020
Northern Rough winged Swallow, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 17, 2020
Northern Rough winged Swallow, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 17, 2020
Yesterday after work I made a few stops on my way home including Aqua Vitae Road (where the highlight was a flyover Pectoral Sandpiper) and Lake Wallace.  Nothing too unusual at Lake Wallace but there were continued numbers of Palm Warbler plus lots of swallows skimming over the surface of the lake.  I was yet another cool morning with a slight breeze and temperatures starting off below freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment