Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Early Louisiana Waterthrushes plus Red Crossbills and Evening Grosbeaks


Lousiana Waterthrush, Nash Hill Road, Williamsburg, MA, Apr 7, 2020
Palm  Warbler 'yellow', Belchertown, MA, Apr 7, 2020
After another day at work I headed out this morning with my destination being Nash Hill Road in Williamsburg looking for a variety of species including the continued Red Crossbills, Evening Grosbeaks and perhaps an early Louisiana Waterthrush (more on the waterthrush at the following link).  I arrived in the area around 7:45 and spent the next hour plus exploring the area during which I had multiple flyovers of both Red Crossbills and Evening Grosbeaks.  The Red Crossbills were once again Type 1 (thanks to Tim Spahr for the confirmation). I also ran across an early Louisiana Waterthrush as I was walking back to the car (my earliest date ever for Hampshire County).  I also ran across Chuck and we birded together for a bit and I got him on a handful of unusual birds.  After I left Nash Hill Road I ran across another Louisiana Waterthrush along Depot Road (also in Williamsburg).  I spent the afternoon at home catching up on stuff around the house but still managed to find some good birds including the continued pair of Red shouldered Hawks plus some Palm Warblers and Rusty Blackbirds among some 37 species at the house over the course of the day.  Overall for the month I have already had 91 species which is a record setting pace for the month.
Gadwall (center and right) and Common Goldeneye, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 6, 2020
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 6, 2020
I made a brief stop at Winsor Dam on my way to work on Monday and had some somewhat unusual waterfowl including two Gadwall.
Wild Turkey, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 30, 2020
Raccoon , Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 31, 2020
American Robin, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 5, 2020
American Goldfinch, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 6, 2020
Eastern Phoebe, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 6, 2020
Opossum,  Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 7, 2020
The cameras at the house have captured a few new birds over the last few days plus some mammals.

No comments:

Post a Comment