Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Yellow rumped Warblers and waterfowl for the morning

Yellow rumped Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
Northern Shoveler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
Common Mergansers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
Bald Eagle on nest, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
I took advantage of a beauty of a day with sunny skies and fairly light winds to get out a bit before the weather went downhill for the next few days.  It was a bit chilly at first light at Arcadia with a temperature around 25 but it didn't stop me from picking up a deer tick...those little bastards are tough!  I wanted to catch up with the overwintering Yellow rumped Warbler before the coming of spring moved them along and I had fantastic luck with at least 17 present with a flock of eleven near the solar array, four near the bridge and a couple singles elsewhere.  The marsh was very quiet with just a smattering of waterfowl.  I did notice the bridge was open to traffic again (usually the barriers don't get moved until later in spring but without much flooding this year I guess they decided to remove them early).  With the bridge open I decided to head over to Ned's Ditch where once again I found the continued Northern Shoveler in among several species of waterfowl and got better views of it this time.  No other unusual species were noted but the diversity is starting to pick up.
Yellow rumped Warbler, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
Yellow rumped Warbler, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
Black capped Chickadee, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
Common Merganser, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Mar 18, 2020
After Arcadia I headed over to the East Meadows where I picked up another half dozen Yellow rumped Warblers plus at least ten Northern Flickers.  More and more birds were singing and it certainly felt and sounded like early spring.  I tried a few fields in Hadley and Amherst but didn't come across any geese flocks in my travels.
Eggs in duck box #1, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 18, 2020
I checked the three duck boxes at the house and one now has three eggs in it and another looks like a bird has been in it but no eggs in that box yet.  If the previous several years are any indication on the species the eggs are most likely Hooded Merganser.  I also had my first Eastern Phoebe singing at the house when I got home later in the morning (no bands on the bird so not for certain it is a returning one to the yard).
Bobcat, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 11, 2020
Fox (gray or red), Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 13, 2020
American Crow, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 17, 2020
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 17, 2020
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 17, 2020
Red Squirrel, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 18, 2020
The cameras around the house continue to capture some good stuff including the continued Bobcat as well as a few banded birds.  I will probably be opening up the water feature at the house at the end of the week or next week which will certainly result in more photo ops on the cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment