Monday, April 15, 2019

Pre dawn thunderstorms brings down some migrants

Ruddy Duck, Beaver Lake, Ware, MA, Apr 15, 2019
 Lesser Scaup, Beaver Lake, Ware, MA, Apr 15, 2019
Greater Scaup and Lesser Scaup, Beaver Lake, Ware, MA, Apr 15, 2019
Spotted Sandpipers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 15, 2019
A round of heavy showers and thunderstorms rolled in before dawn this morning and brought a number of species to the area.  The worst of the storms finally ended a bit after 6:30 and I immediately headed over to Winsor Dam where I had three early Spotted Sandpipers as well as a single Bonaparte's Gull among the more common gulls.  I then stopped over to Beaver Lake and despite an increase in the rain once again I turned up a Greater Scaup and Lesser Scaup together giving a nice side by side comparison of these very similar species.  I then made a return trip to Winsor Dam where I had a pair of Blue winged Teal in with a small group of Black Ducks.  I have only had Blue winged Teal anywhere at Quabbin two times before this morning and today was the first time I have seen it at Winsor Dam...so quite a rarity for me at Quabbin.  After dropping off some groceries at home I headed back once again to the dam and not long after arriving saw a post from Aaron about a Ruddy Duck he found at Beaver Lake when he went to see the scaup I had seen there earlier.  I headed right over to Beaver Lake and quickly found the Ruddy Duck as well as the original scaup I had there plus a male Lesser Scaup that had joined the group.  This morning added a number of new migrants. continuing the activity of the last few days thanks to southerly winds and occasional bouts of rain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment