Sunday, April 14, 2019

End of the second week of April brings in more migrants

Palm Warbler 'yellow', rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 14, 2019
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 14, 2019
Song Sparrow, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 14, 2019
Dawn fog over marsh, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 14, 2019
After the strong southerly winds yesterday and overnight into today there was a decent influx of migrants with the most noticeable being a large increase in the numbers of Ruby crowned Kinglets, Chipping Sparrows, Swamp Sparrows, Palm Warbler, Pine Warblers and Yellow rumped Warblers....these species were present almost everywhere I went today. I spent a few hours in the morning along the rail trail in Amherst before heading back home. A very pleasant morning with no wind and decent amounts of activity and lots of bird song.  The morning started off foggy but the sun eventually burned through for a time before more clouds moved in.  Besides the above mentioned species I had some other highlights including a Hooded Merganser that flew into a nest box, a few woodcocks early on, loads of Tree Swallows and a single Rusty Blackbird.  Most of the rest of the day was spent around the house where I had my first Broad winged Hawk and Barn Swallow of the year as well as a Virginia Rail calling sporadically late in the afternoon.
Wild Turkeys, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 13, 2019
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 13, 2019
Yesterday I had hopes for the rain that came in overnight to ground some migrants and with that in mind I started off the morning at Quabbin but after multiple stops there were no obvious storm related birds so I decided to make a trip across the river to Great Pond to see if I could find some more of the unusual species that have shown up there lately. A quick stop turned up the continued Dunlin and Pectoral Sandpiper but I didn’t see the Sandhill Crane but I didn't spend much time looking. The rain finally stopped for the day so I wanted to try again for grounded birds around Quabbin but found none. Overall the day eventually turned out to be quite pleasant and the warmest day (low 70’s) we have had here so far for the year.
Hooded Merganser eggs in duck box #1, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 6, 2019 (no photos of the nest yesterday as she was in the box and I didn't want to disturb her)
Eggs in duck box #2, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 13, 2019
Pine Warbler, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 13, 2019
Yellow bellied Sapsucker, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 13, 2019
Fox Sparrow, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 13, 2019
At home two of the three duck boxes continue to have eggs with the first nest confirmed to be Hooded Mergansers and the second still unknown. I checked the boxes yesterday and found the female sitting on the eggs at the first box and three eggs in the second box. I have mounted cameras at the base of each nest and hope to capture video of the young leaving the nest. Last year I got still photos so hopefully the attempt at video will be successful. I have already captured video of the female flying into the nest (link to video).  The water feature has only been open for a week but I have already captured two new species: a Yellow bellied Sapsucker and a Fox Sparrow (species #45 and #46 overall for the water feature).  The Pine Warblers continue around the house and I managed to get some photos of one that came down from the tree tops for a brief time.

No comments:

Post a Comment