Saturday, January 14, 2017

Long eared Owl plus some unusual waterfowl for January


Ring necked Ducks, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 14, 2017
Ring necked Duck, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 14, 2017
Bufflehead, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 14, 2017
Ring necked Ducks and Bufflehead, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 14, 2017
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 14, 2017
I went out bright and early this morning to take advantage of the calm winds to listen for owls and I was not disappointed.  I found a number of Great Horned Owls and Barred Owls but the best by far was a Long eared Owl in a potentially breeding location in Belchertown (precise location not disclosed).  I heard the bird not long after I started listening as it gave a short harsh hoot call several times.  It was a very unusual sound as I have not heard this type of vocalization from this species before.  I will try to check the area again in the near future to see if I can relocate it.  Besides the owl I had a number of other decent sightings today including my first Ruffed Grouse of the season plus a number of unusual species of waterfowl including a pair of Ring necked Ducks and a Bufflehead within Quabbin Park itself plus a Red necked Grebe seen distantly from Winsor Dam.

No comments:

Post a Comment