Saturday, June 4, 2016

Poverty Mountain bird census plus some time around Quabbin Park

Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 4, 2016
Lesser Scaup, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 4, 2016
I conducted the annual Poverty Mountain bird census up at Kevin and Cynthia's property up on Shutesbury/Amherst line.  The original plan was to conduct the survey on Sunday but with the forecast for rain for most of Sunday we bumped it up to today.  Over the course of the morning from 6AM-10AM we had a total of 70 species, which is a bit higher than the average of around 60.  It was a nice morning to explore the few hundred acres up there.  Full list from the morning here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S30067438

I made a quick stop at Winsor Dam on my way home and found the continued Lesser Scaup a bit closer to the dam compared to where I have seen it the last several times.
White tailed Deer with fawn, Quabbin Park, MA, June 3, 2016
White tailed Deer with fawn, Quabbin Park, MA, June 3, 2016
Lesser Scaup, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 3, 2016
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 3, 2016
Lesser Scaup, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 3, 2016
Yesterday I spent a few hours around the south Quabbin area dodging occasional rain.  The Lesser Scaup continues at Winsor Dam hanging around the same area.  Not much in the way of migrants moving through but a nice selection of breeding species.  I had another Black throated Blue Warbler singing a Cerulean Warbler like call that I eventually managed to chase down to confirm.  I had hopes it would be a Cerulean Warbler as the bird was in the same location I saw a male of that species in mid May.  Also saw my first White tailed Deer fawn of the season at Quabbin Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment