Sunday, January 24, 2016

'Gambel's' White crowned Sparrow relocated and lots of other stuff along the river this morning

'Gambel's' White crowned Sparrow, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 24, 2016
Northern Harrier (one of three), Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 24, 2016
Today I headed over to Arcadia predawn to try to catch up with the Short eared Owl over there once again and I got some decent looks as it hunted the fields around 6:30 before heading to roost.  I also had a couple Great Horned Owls calling but had no luck getting a screech owl to respond.  As it got a bit brighter the Northern Harriers came out to hunt the same fields and I had at least three around (a nice count for this species in January).  Other highlights there included a Hermit Thrush and a flyby Snow Bunting.
Bald Eagle, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Jan 24, 2016
Northern Harrier, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Jan 24, 2016

I then headed over to the East Meadows hoping to relocate the 'Ipswich' Savannah Sparrow that was present there in early January but I didn't have any luck finding it.  It may still be around as I had no luck finding any Savannah Sparrows and the 'Ipswich' was associating with them.  I had a few pockets of sparrows but nothing too unusual.  Highlights included a male Northern Harrier rocketing through, at least 85 Horned Larks and a couple Snow Buntings.
'Gambel's' White crowned Sparrow, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 24, 2016
'Gambel's' White crowned Sparrow, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 24, 2016
'Gambel's' White crowned Sparrow, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 24, 2016
American Tree Sparrow, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 24, 2016
After the East Meadows I headed across the river to Hadley and checked the river near Huntington Road and found a few Common Goldeneyes and some Common Mergansers plus a few hundred Canada Geese and lots of ice.  I then made a stop at the Honey Pot where I had another Northern Harrier, 55+ Horned Larks and best of all I was able to relocate the "Gambel's" White crowned Sparrow.  This unusual western subspecies was first found by James Smith back in early January and I first got to see it on January 8th.  It had not been seen again until today (as far as I know).  Glad to see it is still alive and kicking.
Canada Goose with white at base of bill, Meadow St, Amherst, MA, Jan 24, 2016
Canada Goose with white at base of bill,  Amherst, MA, Jan 24, 2016
I then moved north up through the fields of Hadley and Amherst and finally found a large group of geese (738) in one field which unfortunately contained just Canada Geese but did contain one unique individual white white at the base of the bill.  The best bird I had there was quite distant as it cruised away from me heading toward the river...a light morph Rough legged Hawk.  I was unable to relocate it but with so much good habitat it could be anywhere.  The Rough legged Hawk became species #83 for Hampshire County this year.  I also had another flock (65+) of Horned Larks moving around the fields.

The rest of the morning was spent at a few spots close to home but these stops didn't feature too much out of the ordinary but it was nice to be outside nonetheless enjoying sunny and temperatures near freezing.


No comments:

Post a Comment